Session 3: Count on Him Everyday
1. Hook: Guess the Baby
- Get photos of the kids when they were babies, and get everybody to guess who they are today
- Everything is changing around us. The earth is turning. The seasons are changing. People say, “The only thing constant in life is change.”
- Everybody is changing. Every second. Every day. One day we’re small, helpless little babies. Then we grow up … we become older, taller, wiser, fatter etc.
- People around us may change. Yesterday we were best friends. Today we’re enemies. Tomorrow we’re friends again. They may fail us and disappoint us and let us down.
- But one person doesn’t change. He never changes. He remains the same always. His name is Jesus. We can count on Him everyday – yesterday, today, forever.
- Hebrews 13:8 Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today and forever.
- Remember His goodness and blessings; give thanks and testimonies; when we hit a roadblock, we can look back to remember how He has brought us through before
- Don’t be like the Israelites in the desert who kept forgetting what God has done. (Exodus 14:11-12; Exodus 16:3)
- The God of yesterday is the same God today
- Ps. 102:25-27
In the beginning you laid the foundations of the earth,
and the heavens are the work of your hands.
They will perish, but you remain;
they will all wear out like a garment.
Like clothing you will change them
and they will be discarded.
27 But you remain the same,
and your years will never end.
- Today & Forever:
- The same God that carried you through before will carry you through today and every tomorrow
- Whenever you face challenges, look back to Jesus’ Finished work on the cross
- STORM: Jesus is our Anchor in the midst of the storm (Heb 6:19-20)
- ATTACKS: Jesus is our Rock, our fortress, our refuge and protection (Psalm 18:2)
- EARTHQUAKES: Jesus is our Sure Foundation (1 Cor 3:11)
- Even when we change, even when we fail, He is faithful
- Crowd at Jerusalem
- Peter denying Jesus
- 1 Cor 1:8-9 8 He will also keep you firm to the end, so that you will be blameless on the day of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 God is faithful, who has called you into fellowship with his Son, Jesus Christ our Lord.
- All the things we’ve learned about God so far, His nature, His goodness, His wisdom, His promises, His love for us … all that would never, ever change. It doesn’t matter if you’ve been good or bad, if you’ve been happy or sad, He loves you just the same. Always. His truth remains the same.
- When everything else is changing, we can count on Jesus, every day. He will never fail us or disappoint us or let us down.
- Song: Yesterday, today, forever
- Memory Verse: Hebrews 13:8
- Have the children line up against the wall in their
groups. They participate row by row, preferably with similar aged friends.
Have kids say the memory verse together: “Jesus Christ is the same...”
and then let them hop forward once each time as they say “yesterday”, “today” and “forever”.
(See who can hop the farthest especially on the word “forever”.)