Lesson: Jesus gives life (Luke 8:40-56; Mark 5:21-42)
- Tell the story of Jesus raising Jairus' daughter from Luke 8:40-56 and Mark 5:21-42.
- Last week we learned about a woman who had been bleeding for 12 years. When she touched Jesus, He was actually on His way to see a little girl.
- This little girl was 12 years old, and she was very sick.
- Her father’s name was Jairus. He was a synagogue leader — a ruler of the synagogue.
- Even though he was an important man, when his daughter was sick, he knew that only Jesus could help.
- So the moment Jesus got off the boat, Jairus fell at his feet and pleaded earnestly with him. “My little daughter is dying. Please come and put your hands on her so that she will be healed and live.”
- Jairus knew that Jesus had the power to heal his daughter, and he believed that she will be healed. This is called faith.
- Jesus went with him. Along the way, He was “interrupted” by the woman who was bleeding for 12 years.
- For Jairus, it must have an anxious time because Jesus stopped to talk to the woman while his daughter was dying.
- But perhaps his faith was strengthened when he heard the woman’s testimony.
- Then some people came from Jairus house and said, “You daughter is dead. Why bother the teacher anymore?”
- To these people, Jesus was just a “teacher”.
- Jesus assured Jairus, “Don’t be afraid; just believe.”
- Jesus brought Peter, James and John with him to Jairus’ house.
- At the house, there were many people crying and wailing loudly.
- Jesus said, “Why all this commotion and wailing? The child is not dead but asleep.”
- But the people laughed at him.
- Jesus put the people out of the house, leaving only his disciples and Jairus and his wife.
- They went into the room where the girl was lying.
- Taking her by the hand, Jesus said to her, “Talitha Koum!” (which means, “Little girl, I say to you, get up!”
- Immediately, the girl stood up and began to walk around.
- Jesus told those present not to let anyone know about this and to give the girl something to eat.
- Like the woman who was bleeding for 12 years, Jairus also spoke out in faith when he said, “Please come and put your hands on her so that she will be healed and live.”
- When the woman who was bleeding interrupted Jesus, when the people from Jairus’ house told him that his daughter was dead, when the wailers and mourners were crying in the house … despite these circumstances, Jesus still called Jairus to believe in Him.
- When all hope seems gone, no matter what we are going through, we can continue to speak in faith and believe in Jesus. We can hear what Jesus said, “Don’t be afraid; just believe.”
- Jesus is Lord over everything, even death!
- Let’s pray: Thank you Jesus that when we are faced with difficult situations, You are there with us. When things seem hopeless, You call us not to fear and to believe in You. Help us to learn to trust You more each day and to speak life and faith, according to Your promises. In Your name, I pray Amen.