1. Lesson (based on Psalm 23:1)
- Today we’re going to look at a psalm of David.
- What’s a psalm? A psalm is a Hebrew poem or song, usually played on a harp or a string instrument.
- Do you remember who David was? David was the shepherd boy who took down Goliath with a slingshot and some smooth stones.
- David became King of Israel. But he was also a musician and liked to write poems and songs. He was a famous psalm writer or psalmist.
- This particular psalm is about God being his Shepherd-King.
- Psalm 23 is one of the more famous psalms written by David. We’re going to learn and meditate on this psalm in the next few weeks. And by the end of it, all of you will be able to memorise the psalm.
- Let’s look at the verse: The Lord is our shepherd
- The Lord = who’s the Lord?
- The Lord is our Almighty God
- What do you know about the Lord?
the creator of heaven and earth. He’s all powerful (omnipotent). He’s
everywhere (omnipresent). He knows everything (omniscient). <get kids to
tell you about what they know about God>
<Idea: show pix of universe to explain the greatness of God>
- Is = what does this tell us?
- Present tense. Not past. Not future. It is true for today!
- Our = whose shepherd is he?
- Our = us; you and me. The Lord of the whole universe is the Lord for you and for me.
- Can you imagine if the king of the country knows you by name? Wouldn’t that be great?
- Wouldn’t it be greater to know that the King of the whole universe knows you by name?
- He’s not just all powerful, all present, all knowing … He’s also YOUR Lord and YOUR shepherd.
- Shepherd = what does a shepherd do?
- <get kids to answer. Idea: show pix of shepherds taking care of sheep>
- David was a shepherd boy. So he understood what a shepherd does for his sheep. David took care of sheep. He made sure they had the best food and that they were safe.
- Jesus said, “I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” (John 10:11). And that’s what Jesus did. He laid down his life on the cross for you and for me!
- Children, we have a all powerful, all present, all knowing God who is YOUR shepherd. One who takes care of you. One who loves you and laid down His life for you. Isn’t that amazing?
- As you go through the week ahead, whatever may happen, remind yourselves every morning:
- The Lord: Almighty and powerful
- Shepherd: who takes care of me and protects me
- Memory Verse:
- Psalm 23:1 The Lord is my shepherd (younger kids)
- John 10:11 “Jesus is the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep.” (older kids)